The Judson College Music Department is committed to helping each of its students reach her fullest musical potential through high-quality instruction. Each student, whether a music major, minor, or interested scholar, has access to gifted faculty, world–class instruments, performance experience, and numerous opportunities for music leadership.
Judson’s distinguished faculty, while widely experienced performers, are strongly committed to teaching and often become personal and professional mentors to their students.
Pianists perform on our Hamburg Steinway D concert grand piano selected by Dr. Betty Campbell and others at the Steinway factory in Hamburg, Germany in March 2004. Our students perform in the beautifully-restored Alumnae Auditorium (1903), which seats 900 people and whose acoustics are widely acclaimed. Most pianists rarely, if ever, have the opportunity to perform on a harpsichord, but at Judson, students are encouraged to perform on the beautiful, William Dowd double keyboard harpsichord (Boston, 1985). Additionally, interested students can study organ and experience playing on our Flentrop (Holland, 1979) ten rank, two manual tracker organ and learn to use the MIDI technology on our two manual Allen MDS-36 digital organs.
In addition to performing in musicals and theatre productions, Judson College students have opportunities to perform in a variety of programs and venues with the following ensembles:
- Judson Singers – an SSAA choir that is open to any student, non-auditioned. This ensemble participates in a yearly tour.
- FAITH Ensemble – an auditioned SSAA nine-member vocal ensemble that performs frequently, both on and off campus, throughout the year
- Judson Handbell Ensemble – open to all students, non-auditioned. This ensemble participates in a yearly tour.
- Judson Instrumental Ensemble – open to all students, non-auditioned. This ensemble performs frequently for on-campus events.
The Judson Singers and Faith ensemble regularly perform both on and off campus. The Judson Singers have performed at Carnegie Hall in New York, most recently in 2014. The yearly music ensemble tour provides Judson College students the opportunity to perform and participate in ministry and missions opportunities in Alabama, Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, Georgia, and other areas of the United States and Europe.
Judson College is a place where each student is encouraged to develop her unique skills and talents. We believe that the Judson College Music program will provide each student with a supportive learning environment, rare performance opportunities, and creative and engaging instruction she can use to prepare for a career or further study.
Outstanding graduates include:
- Titilayo Adedokun, Second-runner-up Miss America, Opera Scholarship winner Milan, Italy, opera and concert singer in Europe
- Melissa Bryant, Contemporary Christian artist
- Rebecca Sawyer, organist and assistant choir-master, First Presbyterian Church, Midland, TX
- Irene Jordan, Metropolitan Opera
- Betty Sue Shepherd, Pianist, former Professor at Samford University
- Kathleen Seymour, music theatre
For more information about the Judson College Music Department, contact:
Head of the Music Department
Assistant Professor of Music
Marian Acree Tucker Hall