In this blog I am going to try to answer one of the questions that I am most frequently asked concerning Life as a Judson Girl. The question is "what do Judson students do for fun on weekends and in their spare time?" This question is so popular because as I am sure many of you have noticed, either from reading about Judson, visiting Judson, or attending Judson, that it is located in what most people consider a very small town in the middle of no-where. For this reason most people assume that it is a boring place to be with nothing to do. So if you will give me just a minuet I will try to clear up this misconception.
What Judson Students do for fun on the weekends and in their spare time...
- Sleep -- ok, doesn't sound like much fun, but with the busy schedules most of us keep we don't get much during the week.
- Read -- during the week you are so busy with classes, home work, and reading text books, that it feels good just to relax and curl up with a good story.
- Watch movies -- what can go wrong with a movie night. Friends, food, and the newest comedy, you will be laughing for hours even after the credits.
- Day trips to Tuscaloosa -- did someone say bowling, or a movie, maybe some shopping on the side? And it's not like it is that far away, only 45 mins.
- Games -- you haven't laughed until you have played games like Apples To Apples with a group of Judson Girls, trust me.
- Sardines -- no not eating fish. It is a game played the opposite way of hide and seek, one person hides and everyone else has to look for them, when you find them you hide with them until everyone is hiding. It is best if played in the dark.
- Make signs -- you are sure to need them soon anyways and this way you won't have to rush and make them when you have a gazillion other things to do. (Only at Judson are college students encouraged to embrace their inner 5 year old and spend time coloring and playing with glitter.)
- Mattress surfing -- ok this one may be a little dangerous and does not occur often, but it has happened and if you get in on it you will have a blast.
- Forced socialization with MMI cadets -- ok so it's not really forced, but there are a couple of times a semester when the two schools plan activities and gatherings that involve the students from both schools. Examples are field days and picnics.
- Playing pool at MMI -- MMI has pool tables and such in their QM , the "hang out" place for cadets on their campus, and it is not uncommon to find some Judson Girls joining in on the fun.
- Trips to town -- who doesn't like to drop by the Dollar General, Freds, or the thrift store (on Saturday mornings) to see what great deals you can score.
- Walk around campus -- walking is not only great exercise, but it also gives you a chance to catch up with your Judson sisters after a busy week of classes and homework.
- Just hang out -- when you are with a great group of friends you can almost always come up with something to do, in fact most of the time we just end up entertaining each other.
We may not be in a large town with lots to do, but we can always find something fun to do.