Phone: (334) 683-5178
At Judson College since 1966
"I enjoy the small class size here. I was accustomed to classes of 180-200 at the University of Alabama. Here, I can work closely with my students, help them study and help them prepare for professional and graduate schools." - George C. Williams
· Ph.D in Chemistry (1961) - University of Alabama
· M.S. in Chemistry (1957) - University of Alabama
· B.S. in Chemistry (1955) - University of Alabama
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
Freshman Chemistry; Organic Chemistry; Quantitative Analysis; Physical Chemistry
* Dr. George C. Williams, The Leslie R. Armstrong Chair of Applied Science, is
Dr. Williams has been employed at Judson longer than any other faculty member on campus and, at 79 years of age, has no plans of retiring any time soon. In 2006, The George C. Williams and Thomas H. Wilson Science Merit Scholarship was established by former Judson Biology and Chemistry majors in honor of Dr. Williams and Judson Biology professor Dr. Thomas Wilson.
Dr. Williams was married for 55 years to the late Martha Whitehead Williams and together they have two daughters, Susan Margaret and Mary Blanche, who are both Judson graduates. Dr. Williams has two grandchildren who fondly refer to him as "Big Daddy," a name that was given him by his daughter Mary, because, though Dr. Williams only stands 5 ft 5 inches tall, she believes him to have "a big heart."
Dr. Williams remembers teaching in the King Science Hall before The Charlotte Lowder Science Building was constructed. The King Science Hall was not air-conditioned. He recalls an old barracks building once being situated where Archibald Hall is now located on campus, known as "The Jolly Joint." There, students, faculty and staff could socialize and get short orders. Dr. Williams has seen the construction of about half the buildings on the Judson College campus.
Dr. Williams is an active member of Marion United Methodist Church. In his spare time, he enjoys helping others with chores and growing his own garden.
EXPERIENCE AND SELECTED PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES
* Assistant Professor of Chemistry, University of Alabama, 1958-1966
* Visiting Professor of Chemistry, University of Mississippi, 1964-1966
* Hall Thompson Award at Judson College - Inaugural recipient, 1977 - has received this award three times
* Lula and Alton Holley Award for Excellence in Teaching at Judson College - recipient, 1990
* 50-year Member, American Chemical Society of Sigma Xi
* Member, Perry County Historical and Preservation Society