Assistant Professor of Chemistry
Head of the Chemistry Department
Dr. Olson was born in Plano, Texas. He graduated from Armstrong Atlantic State University with a B.S. in chemistry, cum laude, in 2003. He then went on to received his Ph.D. in medicinal chemistry from the State University of New York at Buffalo in 2008. Dr. Olson then spent two years as a postdoctoral fellow in a medicinal chemistry laboratory at the Research Triangle Park Institute in Raleigh, North Carolina. Following that he continued postdoctoral research at Mount Sinai Medical School in New York City before a change in career brought him into the classroom as an adjunct professor of organic chemistry at Essex County College in Newark, New Jersey. Dr. Olson currently has published 11 peer reviewed articles in various journals including The Journal of the American Chemical Society and ACS Chemical Neuroscience.
In July of 2014, Dr. Olson came to Judson College as an Assistant Professor of Chemistry. He currently serves as the department head as well as advisor for both chemistry and pre-pharmacy students and is also a member of the honors committee. Dr. Olson currently teaches general chemistry, and advanced courses in organic chemistry, physical chemistry, and quantitative analysis.
- Amatruedo, Joesph, Olson, Jeremy P.; Agarwal, H.K.; Ellis-Davies, G.C.R. “Wavelength-Selective One- and Two-Photon Uncaging of GABA” EJN, 2015, 41, 5-16.
- Amatruedo, Joesph, Olson, Jeremy P.; Chiu, C.Q.; Higley, M.J.; Ellis-Davies, G.C.R. “Wavelength-Selective One- and Two-Photon Uncaging of GABA” ACS Neuroscience, 2014, 5(1), 64-70
- Olson, Jeremy P.; Banghart, M.R.; Sabatini, B.L.; Ellis-Davies, G.C.R. “Spectral evolution of a Photochemical Protecting Group for Orthogonal Two-Color Uncaging with Visible Light.” J. Am Chem. Soc., 2013, 135 (42), 15948-15954.
- Olson, Jeremy P.; Kwon, H.B.; Takasaki, K.T.; Chiu, C.Q.; Higley, M.J.; Sabatini, B.L.; EllisDavies, G.C.R. “Optically Selective Two-Photon Uncaging of Glutamate at 900 nm.” J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2013, 135 (16), 5954-5957.
- Chepiga, K.M.; Qin, C.; Alford, J.S.; Chennamadhavuni, S.; Gregg, T.M.; Olson, Jeremy P.; Davies, H.M.L. “Guide to Enantioselective Dirhodium(II)-Catalyzed Cyclopropanation With Aryldiazoacetates.” Tetrahedron, 2013, 69(27-28), 5765-5771.
- Gichinga, M. G.; Olson, Jeremy P.; Butala, E.; Navarro, H. A.; Gilmour, B. P.; Carroll, F. Ivy. “Discovery of Potent Metabotropic Glutamate Receptor Subtype 5 Antagonists Based on Fenobam,” ACS Med. Chem. Lett., 2011, 2 (12), 882–884.
- Gichinga, M. G.; Olson, Jeremy P.; Butala, E.; Navarro, H. A.; Gilmour, B. P.; Carroll, F. Ivy. “Preparation of a Series of 5-Methyl-3-(Substituted)-[1,2,4]-Triazines,” Tetrahedron Letters. 2011, 52, 3345–3346.
- Olson, Jeremy P.; Gichinga, M. G.; Butala, E.; Navarro, H. A.; Gilmour, B. P.; Carroll, F. Ivy. “Synthesis and Evaluation of 1,2,4-Methyltriazines as mGluR5 Antagonists,” Org. Biomol. Chem., 2011, 9, 4276-4286.
- Olson, Jeremy P.; Carroll F. Ivy. “An Improved Synthesis of Phenylethynyl[1,2,4]methyltriazines,” Synthesis. 2011, 3, 403-412.
- Rohbogner CJ, Wagner AJ, Clososki GC, Knochel P, Olson, JP, Davies, HML: “Magnesiation of Weakly Activated Arenes Using tmp2Mg•2LiCl: Synthesis of tert-Butyl Ethyl Phthalate,” Organic Syntheses. 2009, 86, 374-384.
- Lautens M, Menard F, Olson JP, Davies HML, “Enantioselective [4+3] Cycloadditions,” SYNFACTS. 2008, 4, 381.
- Olson, Jeremy P.; Davies, H.M.L. “Asymmetric [4+3] Cycloadditions Between Benzofuranyldiazoacetates and Dienes: Formal Synthesis of (+)-Frondosin B,” Organic Letters. 2008, 10, 573-576.