Student achievements recognized at Honors Convocation
Judson College hosted its annual Honors Convocation on April 10, 2017. The ceremony, held in Ramsay-McCrummen Chapel, afforded “special recognition to Judson students who have exceeded expectations”, according to Associate Dean of the College for Teaching and Institutional Effectiveness Dr. Lesley Sheek.
“Today,” Sheek said, “We acknowledge the contributions these women have made to their disciplines and majors as well as to the campus community as a whole.” Sheek emphasized the spirit of community that pervades Judson’s campus, and encouraged convocation participants to “celebrate the Lord’s blessings” of scholastic ability and vocational calling among its members.
Faculty members presented the following awards to outstanding students in their disciplines:
- Excellence in the Field of Fine Art – Chasely Matmanivong, Montgomery, Ala.
- Outstanding Senior in Biology – Erin Brown, Hartselle, Ala.
- Outstanding Student in Business – Lauren Hurt, Huntsville, Ala.
- Outstanding Student in Chemistry – Erin Brown, Hartselle, Ala.
- Themis Award in Criminal Justice – McKenzie Wilton, Elm Grove, La.
- Teacher Candidate Outstanding Achievement Award – Tori Hatfield, Selma, Ala.
- Outstanding Student in English – Sara Jean Lane, Conyers, Ga.
- Horsewoman of the Year in Equine Science – Chloe Crowder, Bay Minette, Ala.
- Outstanding Senior in History – Lillie Hobson, Kinsey, Ala.
- Outstanding Student in Mathematics – Sara Jean Lane, Conyers, Ga.
- Outstanding Student in Music – Yaw Nam, Myitkyina, Kachin
- Florence Nightingale Award in Nursing – April Tucker, Tuscaloosa, Ala.
- Outstanding Student of Psychology – Madison Casale, Moody, Ala.
- Outstanding Student in Religious Studies – Jessica Thomas, Cottonwood, Ala.
- Outstanding Student in Social Work – Courtney Tillman, Flat Rock, Ala.
- Outstanding Student in Spanish – Nicole Stewart, Saltillo, Miss.
Special awards were also presented:
- Sallie McAllister Curb Arnold Art Award – Samantha Queijsen, Monroeville, Ala.
- Beta Beta National Biology Honor Society/Kappa Sigma Chapter – Tessa N. Thompson,
- Richard W. Fullerton Award for Outstanding General Chemistry Student – Allie Smith
- Kappa Delta Epsilon Outstanding Member Award – Leslie Anne Pope, Gulf Shores, Ala
- Sigma Tau Delta Award for First-year Writing – Kassidy Giles, Gilbertown, Ala.
- EvanTell Award for Evangelism – Lauren Hurt, Huntsville, Ala.
- Kathleen White Schad Writing Award – Kate Wright, Lathrop, Mo.
- Mary Whitfield Lee Memorial Award – Lillie Hobson, Kinsey, Ala.
- Drucilla McCollum Outreach Award – Kai Bu, Yaw Nam, Jaw Seng Zin – Myitkyina, Kachin
- Mary Gibson Thompson Faculty Award – Dr. Kristopher McConnell
Further student achievements will be recognized at commencement June 23. Addressing the 2018 graduates, Sheek said, “We expect remarkable things from you because the Lord has blessed you with talents and equipped you for your calling. Do not be afraid, but when you face doubts and uncertainty, remember to turn to God’s Word for its truths and guidance.”
For more information about each award or recipient, contact Donna Bennett in the Academic Dean’s Office at 334.683.5104.