Student achievements recognized at 2018 Honors Convocation
Judson College hosted its annual Honors Convocation on April 9, 2019. The ceremony, held in Ramsay-McCrummen Chapel, afforded an opportunity to “honor students’ and professors’ commitment to excellence in academics and service,” according to Dr. Scott Bullard, Senior Vice President and Dean of the College.
Bullard said that, like the apostle Paul, who “disappeared” for a time to study and prepare for a life of ministry, Judson students have a unique opportunity to “pull away” during their time in college “to think, to study, to pray, to be renewed, and then to return to the world for service.” However, “the perfect project or the perfect GPA are not ends unto themselves,” Bullard said, “but are rather means to learning more about our God, his heart, and our neighbors.” He touted Judson as a “special place that carves out time and space and reserves energy for such honorable things: for learning, for praying, for thinking about vocation, and for serving.”
Faculty members presented the following awards to outstanding students in their disciplines:
- Excellence in the Field of Fine Art – Samantha Queijsen, Monroeville, Ala.
- Outstanding Student in Biology – Joy Thompson, Mineral Bluff, Ga.
- Outstanding Senior in Business – Whitney Batt, Owens Cross Roads, Ala.
- Outstanding Student in Chemistry – Quenteeria Mooney, Jacksonville, Ala.
- Themis Award in Criminal Justice – Macy Ingle – Soddy Daisy, Tenn.
- Teacher Candidate Outstanding Achievement Award – Katie Allen Etheridge, Alabaster, Ala.
- Outstanding Student in English – Kai Bu, Myitkyina, Kachin, Myanmar
- Horsewoman of the Year in Equine Science – Logan Lanier, Waycross, Ga.
- Outstanding Student in History – Brianna Arriaga, Huntsville, Ala.
- Outstanding Student in Mathematics – Kacie Adams, Clanton, Ala.
- Outstanding Student in Music – Lorna Wikle, Moody, Ala.
- Florence Nightingale Award in Nursing – Kristina Averette, Marion, Ala.
- Outstanding Student of Psychology – Logan Lanier, Waycross, Ga.
- Excellence in Religious Studies – Kayla Oliver, Odenville, Ala.
- Outstanding Student in Social Work – Jessica Thompson, Marion, Ala.
- Outstanding Student in Social Work Field Intern – Dalila Parrish, Marion, Ala.
- Outstanding Student in Spanish – Kate Wright, Lathrop, Mo.
Special awards were also presented:
- Sallie McAllister Curb Arnold Art Award – Samantha Queijsen, Monroeville, Ala.
- Outstanding Freshman in Beta Beta National Biology Honor Society, Kappa Sigma Chapter – Anna Alexander, Odenville, Ala.
- Outstanding Member of Phi Alpha Theta National History Honor Society, Epsilon Delta Chapter – Shelby Cranford, Enterprise, Ala.
- Richard W. Fullerton Award for Outstanding General Chemistry Student – Susanna Fowler, Americus, Ga.
- Outstanding Member of Kappa Delta Epsilon, Beta Rho Chapter – Molly Veal, Henagar, Ala.
- Outstanding Member of Sigma Tau Delta/Alpha Gamma Tau Chapter – Arienne Borowski, Mobile, Ala.
- EvanTell Award for Evangelism – Molly Veal, Henagar, Ala.
- David and Beth Potts Award for Outstanding Involvement in Community Service – Kayla Oliver, Odenville, Ala.
- May Murfee Anderson Scholarship – Sakeria Hollis, Birmingham, Ala.
- Kathleen White Schad Writing Award – Kate Wright, Lathrop, Mo.
- Mary Whitfield Lee Memorial Award – Ashtin Morris, Prattville, Ala.
- Mary Gibson Thompson Faculty Award – Cindy St. Clair, Assistant Professor of Music, Piano